Once donation matching is enabled on a campaign, donors/matchers can create matches via the match form on the front end of campaign sites. To create a match, follow these steps:
- On the desired campaign site, add "/donate/match" to the URL. Alternatively, click on any potentially available link or button on the site prompting donors to create matches.
- On the match form, choose a goal or fundraising page to which to match all donations. Matchers can match all donations to the campaign, or all donations that are donated towards a specific personal or team fundraising page.
- Select a start date. Can be immediate or a specific date in the future.
- Select an end date. Can be a date in the future or coinciding with the campaign end date as determined by an administrator.
- Set a maximum amount to match (optional).
- If a maximum was set, choose whether to donate any potential remainder, which is the difference between the actual matched amount at the end of the match and the maximum amount entered above.
- Enter donor information and display preferences.
- Enter payment information.
- Click "Create Match!"
Once submitted, a tokenized version of the matcher's payment method will be captured and stored on file to be charged when the match ends. The matcher will receive an email confirming the match and its details.
At the end of the match, the card saved on file will be charged for the total match amount. If the matcher entered a maximum match amount and opted to donate any remainder, and there's a difference between the charged amount and the matched amount, the card on file will be charged for the maximum amount, with the remainder amount processed as a general donation. The matcher will receive an email at that time informing them of the transaction.
There is a setting that allows matchers to prepay their match. If a matcher chooses to prepay their match, they must enter a maximum amount when submitting their match. Their card will be charged the maximum amount upon submission. When the match ends, if the total matched amount is less than the maximum match amount, the charge will be revisited based on the donation remainder selection: either the remainder will be assigned as a general donation or it will be refunded back to the matcher's payment method. To enable the prepay option, please contact support.
Matchers can view their match transactions and related donations in the User Profile section, under Payments, where they can also view and manage their payment method. Click here to learn more.