Learn how to use the Quickbooks integration in this step-by-step guide.
Recommended Reading Before You Start
1. From the Mission Control Dashboard, navigate to the Unsynced Transactions list on the Sync Widget.
2. In this view, you will find tabs allowing you to switch between your list of unsynced Transactions and unsynced Accounts.
Each view provides details for the transaction or account listed. Sort your lists by clicking column headers.
3. Use the compact and comfortable toggles to view more or less detail for each list item.
4. Across the top of your lists are categories by which you can filter your lists. Select the right of the category title to select your filter criteria.
Filters can be saved for future use. Selecting Clear will clear all of your selections.
Note: Filters are unique to each system user and cannot be shared.
Now that you have located the transactions and accounts that you’d like to work with in your Quickbooks integration, use the available sync tools to either sync or block the sync to QuickBooks.
These tools can be found to the right of each list item.
1. Choose Sync to send to QuickBooks. Choose Do Not Sync to prevent this item from being sent to QuickBooks.
Note to QuickBooks Desktop users, both QuickBooks and your Web Connector will need to stay open throughout the syncing process, which can take up to an hour or two for large syncs.
2. Save yourself some time by bulk-performing these actions. Select multiple or all items using the checkboxes along the left.
3. When items are selected, bulk actions appear at the top. Click Sync Transactions to send these items to Quickbooks or Do Not Sync Transactions to prevent them from syncing.
If your unsynced items appear on multiple pages, you will find an option at the top of your list to Select All. This will select all remaining items that are not visible in the page view.
4. After performing an action, items may be filtered out of your list. To locate them again, update your Status filter to view them again.
5. Transactions will be marked as Syncing as they are sent over to QuickBooks. QuickBooks Desktop users should keep the Web Connector and QuickBooks open during this time.
Note: Items labeled Do Not Sync may be moved back to Unsynced at any time.
There are a few places in QuickBooks that you can navigate to in order to see your synced transactions.
Below is for QuickBooks Online:
- Sales: Invoices
- Sales: All Sales
- Sales: Donors/Customers
Each of the above will allow you to view either the Invoices, Payments, and/or Sales Receipts that were generated from the synchronization.
Below is for QuickBooks Desktop:
The following contact information will update in QuickBooks if you change it in Neon and then sync either the account or a transaction from that account:
- Email Address
- Physical (mailing) address
Once a transaction is successfully synced to your QuickBooks account from Neon CRM, it will be locked and no longer able to be edited (in order to safeguard the data).
However, you may run into a situation where an adjustment needs to be made to the record after the fact.
1. This can be done by clicking on the 'Unlock Transaction' button on the desired transaction record.
2. After clicking on this button, you will be presented with a pop-up that offers you two different options:
A. Unlock this Transaction and add it to the Unsynced Transaction List: Choosing this option is the only way to edit the Payment Information section. Syncing this transaction will not update the existing record in QuickBooks. The Payment record or Sales Receipt in QB should be deleted before syncing the edited transaction.
B. Unlock this Transaction, but keep it in the Synced Transaction List: This is ideal for when you need to update something that doesn't sync to QuickBooks (*i.e.* Start/End Dates of a Membership Term).
3. Once you know which option you wish to choose, type MODIFY into the box, and click on the desired option.
Every 6 months QuickBooks Online will request that you authorize your connection between Neon CRM and QB. When this happens, you will see the below message on the Sync List as well as your QuickBooks settings under System Settings > System Settings Home > Third-Party Integrations:
Occasionally, you may encounter a message like the below:
You'll lose the current Neon CRM settings if you connect.
Neon CRM can only be connected to one email at a time, and Example (firstname.lastname@example.org) is already connected."
This happens when the system user that is trying to authorize the connection was not the user that set it up initially. If the original user is no longer around, you can remove the association by following the below steps:
- Log into QuickBooks Online using the account that is associated with the email address: email@example.com
- Navigate to: https://appcenter.intuit.com/Account/MyApps
- Click the Disconnect button for the Neon CRM app.
Some transactions might re-appear in the Unsynced Transactions queue with an error. Below is how to resolve some common errors and re-sync:
- The query request has not been fully completed.
- Id should be a valid number. Supplied value:00000000-000000000
- Business Validation Error: You can only add or edit one name at a time. Please try again.
- String length specified does not match the supported length. Min:0 Max:21 supported.
- The name supplied already exists.
- There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks PaymentMethod "American Express/MasterCard/Visa" in the ReceivePayment.
- Object "5FA8-1423204500" specified in the request cannot be found.
The query request has not been fully completed. There was a required element ("||NE0N-I||") that could not be found in QuickBooks.
The query request has not been fully completed. There was a required element ("||NE0N-P||") that could not be found in QuickBooks.
The query request has not been fully completed. There was a required element ("||NE0N-S||") that could not be found in QuickBooks.
These messages are specific to QuickBooks Desktop and means that the sync does not see either an existing Customer/Donor Record, Invoice, Payment, and/or Sales Receipt in QB. Please allow the sync to continue.
Do NOT close Neon CRM, QuickBooks Desktop, or the Intuit Web Connector until the sync has finished.
|This error is sometimes triggered when someone has been working on the account in your QuickBooks at the same time as you tried to push the transaction over from Neon to QB. That likely locked this account and prevented it from being updated by Neon. Please try again to re-sync this item.|
- or -
The name "_______" of the list element is already in use.
|QuickBooks searches for duplicates based on name. If a name is already associated elsewhere in QuickBooks this error will be triggered. Usually this error is triggered when a customer name is slightly different in Neon than it is in QuickBooks, or the name is used by a vendor or an inactive customer in QuickBooks. Adjusting the name to match exactly (for the customers) or be completely different (for vendors) should help the sync. If there is no Vendor and the name appears to match the customer name exactly, make sure there are no spaces after the name in Neon.|
QuickBooks error message: Invalid argument. The specified record does not exist in the list.
|This credit card provider is set up as an available credit card type in your Neon system, but this error indicates that it is not available as a payment method in your QuickBooks account. You'll want to check your settings there so make sure that this credit card provider is available as a payment method. Intuit has a guide about your Payment Method list in QuickBooks here.|
This means that the invoice in QuickBooks was edited in some way before attempting the sync. Common situations include 1) Manually entering in a payment towards a pledge in QB instead of syncing the pledge payment -or- 2) The sync was interrupted in some way, but the invoice was created and someone manually edited the invoice record in QB.
Recommended Related Articles