Learn how to connect Neon CRM to your instance of QuickBooks in this step-by-step guide. Neon CRM's integration with QuickBooks sends customer records, invoices & payments, and sales receipts from Neon CRM transactions into your QuickBooks. This help guide will cover how to connect Neon CRM to your instance of QuickBooks.
Recommended Reading Before You Start
In order to set up your connection with QuickBooks Desktop, you will need to enable the QuickBooks connection in Neon CRM.
1. Navigate to the Settings cog and select Global Settings.
2. Under Third-Party Integrations, select QuickBooks.
3. To enable the connection, make sure to turn the switch to On, select QuickBooks Desktop (2018 or later). Next enter a Key Word for QuickBooks Web Connector. This key word will authorize the Web Connector to connect to Neon CRM. Your key word here can be anything you want, but be sure to make note of it. You’ll be needing this later when we create the connection.
4. After entering a Key Word, click Save Key Word & then click Continue.
Notice: If you have not done so, you will be prompted to download and install QuickBooks Web Connector and the QuickBooks Configuration file. Detailed instructions follow below.
If you have completed these steps, please continue to QuickBooks Integration: Formatting
QuickBooks Web Connector
QuickBooks provides an application called Web Connector to safely connect QuickBooks Desktop to an internet application like Neon CRM. The Web Connector must be open and running along with QuickBooks every time you wish to sync transactions from Neon CRM.
Download the Web Connector application and install it on the same computer that has QuickBooks installed.
2. Your configuration file is unique to your Neon CRM system. To download this file, navigate to Settings cog and select Global Settings.
3. Under Third-Party Integrations, select QuickBooks.
4. With QuickBooks desktop selected as your QuickBooks Version, you will be prompted to download your file.
5. Add the Web Connector Configuration File as an application in your web connector. Open the Connector and select Add an application to upload your configuration file.
6. A file browser should open. Select the configuration file that you downloaded above. Click Open.
7. Authorize New Web Service - click OK
8. The QuickBooks Application Certificate dialog displays, asking to allow this application to read and modify your company file. Select one of the following options:
Yes, prompt each time.
A prompt will display whenever the data exchange begins.
Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open (Recommended)
The data exchange takes place only when the QuickBooks company file is open.
Yes, always allow access even if QuickBooks is not running.
The data exchange takes place even if QuickBooks is closed.
9. Select Continue, then Done.
10. The NEON QuickBooks Web Service will display in the Application list on the QuickBooks Web Connector Screen.
Configuring the QuickBooks Web Connector
1. In the Password column, enter the same QuickBooks key word you specified above.
2. Enable this connection by checking the Auto-Run box. This checkbox enables regular syncing between the two systems.
3. Specify the frequency of updates by adding a value to the Every _ Min field.
(Neon CRM recommends every 1 minute for maximum frequency and fastest sync.)
4. Leave this connection open and running in order to finish your configuration with Neon CRM.
5. Before you continue your setup, please open your QuickBooks and make sure your service items and classes are properly configured. In addition, if you manage discounts, tax, and shipping & handling within Neon CRM, you will need to establish a matching service item for each of them in your QuickBooks.
6. Go back to Neon CRM and click Continue to proceed to the integration settings.
If your browser session has expired, log back in to Neon CRM and return to the QuickBooks Settings.
In order to set up your connection with QuickBooks Online, you will need to enable the QuickBooks connection in Neon CRM.
1. Navigate to Settings cog and select Global Settings.
4. Under Third-Party Integrations, select QuickBooks.
3. To enable the connection, make sure to turn the switch to On, select QuickBooks Online, & then click Continue.
4. This opens a pop-up window. If you do not see the pop-up window, ensure that your web browser is not blocking pop-ups on this page. Enter your login information for your QuickBooks Online account. Click Sign In.
4. QuickBooks will ask you to authorize the connection with Neon CRM. Click Connect.
5. The pop-up window will close. The connection is now complete.
6. Click Continue to continue with the configuration.
From this point forward, the configuration process for connecting Neon CRM to QuickBooks is the same for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online.
Start syncing Neon CRM transactions on
The 'Start Date' that you enter into this field will determine the point in your Neon CRM transaction history that you wish to begin syncing data over to QuickBooks. There are no restrictions on what date you can enter here; choose a date that makes the most sense for your organization. Transactions that occurred in Neon CRM after the chosen date will be available to sync. Anything prior to this date will not be available.
Transactions and Payments
Neon CRM’s connection to QuickBooks can move two types of transaction information: Invoices & Payments or Sales Receipts.
If you choose to use Invoices & Payments, the sync will send both an Invoice and a Payment over to QuickBooks, and then apply the payment to the invoice.
If you choose to use Sales Receipts, the sync will send one Sales Receipt for each transaction, which includes both the Payment and Receipt of the transaction.
This setting should match how you have customer names set to display in your QuickBooks Account. If this does not match your existing configuration, transactions and customers will not synchronize with existing records. Instead, duplicate customers will appear in QuickBooks. This setting also should stay the same if you ever re-configure your connection with QuickBooks.
2. When finished, select Continue. Neon CRM will automatically sync your QuickBooks Service Items, Classes, and Deposit-to Accounts to Neon CRM.
Map Tender Types.
On this screen, map your Tender Types in Neon CRM to your Payment Methods in QuickBooks:
These four transaction types can be mapped in any order. You can map anywhere from just one transaction type to all of them.
Each transaction type will ask you to set the default Service Item, Class, and Deposit-to Account. Additionally, you will have the option to further subdivide each transaction type in various ways as well as set the precedence.
Donations, for example, are able to be further subdivided by Campaign, Fund, Purpose, and Payment Tender - while Store Purchases can be subdivided by Product, Product Type, and Payment Tender.
You will then want to decide the order in which each will take precedence over the other (i.e. which one gets priority). As an example, for Donations, if you were set Campaign at the top, then that donation would go to your Campaign item, class, and/or deposit-to account in QuickBooks instead of the Fund.
When mapping each transaction type, you will be presented with a page similar to the below example of the Map Donations page. The options for further subdivision will be different for each transaction type.
Map Taxes, Shipping, and Discounts
On this screen, configure where Neon CRM Taxes, Shipping, and Discounts (if any) map to in QuickBooks. Discounts can be further subdivided by Event, Membership, and Store Discounts.
Additionally, if you use Neon CRM's Legacy Credit Card & ACH Processing Fee Feature, you can map these supplemental payments from constituents into QuickBooks. Note that this is not available for Donor Covered Fees.
- Deposit-to Accounts are not available for mapping. Payments or Sales Receipts synced from Neon will be automatically added to the accounts receivable account most recently used in your QuickBooks software.
- Tender Types are not available for mapping.
- Classes are not available for mapping when syncing to Sales Receipts. However, they are available when syncing to Invoices & Payments
- The total amount of Pledge Payments cannot exceed the pledge amount due.
- For this reason, any Legacy Credit Card & ACH Processing Fee Feature applied to pledge payments will be ignored during the sync.
- Neon CRM cannot sync transactions to QuickBooks Desktop if it is located on a remote server. QuickBooks Desktop, the QuickBooks Web Connector, and the Web Configuration File all must be located on the same local PC's hard drive.
See the below chart for the available subdivision options for each transaction type:
Additional Mapping Options (not required)
|Campaign, Fund, Purpose, Payment Tender
|Campaign, Fund, Payment Tender
|Membership Term, Membership Level, Payment Tender
|Product, Product Type, Payment Tender
That's it! You're done setting up your connection between Neon CRM and QuickBooks. You can now proceed with syncing transactions over to QuickBooks!
If you ever need to make adjustments to your QuickBooks Service Items, Classes, and Deposit-to Accounts, you can download the updated list(s).
1. Navigate back to Settings cog and select Global Settings.
2. Under Third-Party Integrations, select QuickBooks.
3. Select one of the three options and then click the Update from QuickBooks button to download the updated list.
Very rarely, for varying reasons, there may come a time where you will need to download these items again. If you need to do this, you can find the links on your main QuickBooks Desktop integration page.