Many organizations have an existing PayPal Standard account that they would like to connect to NeonCRM forms. An option to pay via PayPal can be added to your Neon credit card payment page from the Payments & Transactions section of Global Settings.
A PayPal Button is NOT a credit card gateway. It is a tender type and therefore does NOT have the same capabilities as a gateway when linked with your Neon forms. A PayPal Button is intended for use in conjunction with a credit card gateway.
One advantage of adding this button is that PayPal Standard will allow constituents to see the transaction amount in their local currency. This feature can be useful for international constituents.
A payment gateway allows the user to submit their payment directly from your NeonCRM forms. From the constituent's perspective, it's as if they never leave your website.
Submitting payment through the PayPal Standard option takes your constituents away from your NeonCRM payment page. When using PayPal Standard, submitting your form will take the constituent to the secure PayPal website for the user to log in or pay by credit card. PayPal handles the complete checkout experience and then returns the user to your site.
PayPal Standard has limited payment processing capabilities. PayPal Standard should NOT be used as your primary means of processing online payments with Neon.
- PayPal Standard does NOT support recurring payments (i.e., recurring donations, membership auto-renewals). If a constituent chooses to set up a recurring payment, the PayPal Standard option will automatically be disabled on your payment forms.
- Neon does NOT support multiple PayPal Standard accounts & this payment option is NOT supported for the multiple gateway mapping.
- It takes some time for PayPal Standard to communicate back to Neon, so transactions will always be entered into Neon with a "Pending" status.
- PayPal Standard can only be used to process transactions on your front-end forms (when enabled). PayPal Standard cannot be used to process transactions on the back-end of NeonCRM.
- The Credit Card Processing Fees which you can configure in Neon will not be applied if a constituent submits payment through PayPal Standard, because they are being externally redirected to submit payment on PayPal's site.
If you wish to add a PayPal Standard button to your NeonCRM payment forms:
Make sure that Instant Payment Notification (IPN) is turned on in your PayPal Profile. While logged in to your PayPal Standard account, navigate to My Account Profile Instant Payment Notification preferences to turn this option on.
Also, if you add the following URL to your IPN settings, this should help change any future successful PayPal Standard transaction from "Pending" to "Success": https://[yourorgid].app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/[yourorgid]/paypalNotify.jsp Make sure that you replace [yourorgid] with your Organization ID. This can be found in NeonCRM's Organization Profile.
- In NeonCRM, navigate to Settings cog Global Settings Payments & Transactions and click PayPal Button.
- On the setup page, enter the email address associated with your PayPal Standard account and toggle the Enable PayPal Button setting to On. Click Update to save your changes.
- Activate PayPal under your list of Tender Types in Neon. This will add the PayPal payment option to your Credit Card form, as shown in the example below.