Learn how to add new users to Neon CRM in this step-by-step guide. There are a variety of user groups User Groups and the permissions each group has. This article will cover how to add and manage user groups.
Recommended Reading Before You Start
Users vs. Accounts
It is important to understand that a User is NOT the same as a constituent account. If you want to track account information (e.g. transactions, address info, communications) about a User, you will need to give them an account that is separate from their user login.
Users primarily access Neon CRM from login.neoncrm.com
Constituents primarily log in from the instance's unique URL: https://[your org id].z2systems.com/login.jsp or, if you have purchased an SSL Certificate for your Neon CRM pages, secure.[your domain name].org/np/clients/[your org id]/login.jsp.
While users will be taken to the back-end of Neon CRM upon logging in, your constituents will be taken to your Constituent Login Portal upon entering the login name and password linked to their Neon CRM account.
Default User Groups
User Groups define levels of access to features in your system. A User Group is a set of permissions that determines what group members have access to and what they can do while in Neon CRM. Each User must be assigned to a User Group.
As many as 10 Users can be logged in at the same time, but you can create an unlimited number of users.
Your system comes with three default user groups:
Administrator has the highest level of access. You probably don’t want to give everyone at your organization Administrator access, as that allows you to change anything and everything
User has access to everything except the following:
- Global Settings
- Organization Profile
- 2-Step Verification
- User Groups
- User Management
- Database Backup
- Form Links & Landing Pages
- Custom Web Pages
- Neon Payment Processing
- Constant Contact
- CRA Receipts
- QuickBooks Sync
Limited User can only manage their own timesheets.
You cannot edit the default user groups, but you can create your own custom User Groups/Permissions, as described below.
Custom User Groups & Permissions
You may want to create different User Groups based on what your staff will be doing with the system.
1. To add new User Groups, navigate to Settings cog and select User Groups.
2. Select New User Group to create custom user groups with specific permissions that you define.
3. Complete the following fields.
Name the User Group.
Add an internal reference.
Parent User Group
Defining a Parent User Group will help to keep groups organized in the list.
This is an internal reference to clarify the user group.
Now you will define what this user group has access to using Basic or Advanced configuration settings.
4. Configure some basic permission settings.
- View lets the user see that section of NeonCRM.
- Create/Edit lets them create new entries and modify existing ones.
- Delete lets them delete this type of data.
5. Below the Basic Settings, you can turn on or off some of Neon CRM’s Other Features.
6. Under the Advanced Settings, you can restrict specific information from the users. These can be useful if your organization deals with sensitive or confidential information. Send Email Campaigns controls their ability to send out mass emails. If finished, select Submit.
User Group Advanced Settings
1. If you want to go into greater detail with their access, click on the Advanced Settings link that appears at the top of the quick setup page, as shown below:
2. This gives you a lot of control over the specific things this user can access. It also separates out the create and edit permissions.
Deleting Custom User Groups
1. If you would like to delete a custom user group, navigate to Settings cog and select User Groups.
2. Select the Actions menu for the user group and select Delete.
3. Confirm the deletion in the pop-up window.
Note: If there any users still in this group, they will be moved to the standard User group when the deletion is completed.
Resetting User Passwords
When you create a new user, they will automatically be sent an email to verify their account and set their password. It is not possible to manually set or edit a user's password from their user account page.
If a user forgets their password, they can visit login.neoncrm.com and click Forgot your password? This will send a password reset email from email@example.com.
Alternatively, an Administrator can prompt an email to help them gain access.
1. To do so, navigate to Settings cog and select User Management.
2. Select the name of the selected User from the list. Click Reset Password or Resend Welcome Email. The text on the button varies based upon the user's status.
Deactivating and Reactivating Users
1. Navigate to Settings cog and select User Management.
2. Any Active or Verified names on your User List will include an Actions menu with an option to deactivate this user.
3. If you click the Deactivate link next to a name, you will receive the following warning. Select Confirm to complete the deactivation process.
4. "Deactivated" users will retain their position in your User List, with their status next to their name as well as in the Status column.
5. Once deactivated, the user account will be locked for viewing or editing unless they are reactivated.
6. You can filter your User List by status:
Change this setting to Enabled if you want to give a user access to Neon CRM's API. A new API key will be generated for that user's email address when this setting is enabled.
Once the API key is created, you can copy it by clicking the Actions menu next to their name on the user list.
1. Navigate to Settings cog and select User Management.
2. Under Actions, select Copy API Key.