AVG Anti-virus - free version to download - has anti-virus and anti-spyware protection - http://free.avg.com/
Trend Micros Housecall - this can be run from their website at any time. While it will detect and clean your machine, it does not run on a schedule like a resident software will -http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Image Editing Software
When preparing your images to load into the system, such as show images, images for the public pages, etc, is it usually necessary to resize the images and also alter the resolution. For images to appear on the public pages you can use jpg, gif or png images. These should be resized to 72 dpi (dots per inch) resolution, and we usually recommend show images be about 200 pixels wide in size, with a consistent width. Images for ticket MUST be jpg files. They can be a slightly higher resolution if they appear somewhat fuzzy at 72 dpi. We wouldn't recommend going higher than 150 dpi or it will result in a noticeable reduction in the time it takes to open/print the ticket.
Most computers come with some form of image editor built in. Mac has the Preview software. PC usually has some kind of photo/image editor. If you need one, here are some recommendations:
- Irfan View - download at http://www.irfanview.com - FREE - PC only.
- Flauntr - online at http://www.flauntr.com - FREE to use- web based (flash based, 10mb size limit, 2850x1599 max res, no layers, yes effects)
- Fotoflexer - online at http://fotoflexer.com/ - FREE to use - web based (flash based, no size limit, 4500x4500 max res, yes layers, yes effects)
- Lunapic - online at http://www.lunapic.com/editor/ - FREE to use - web based (html based, no size limit, 1440x1080 max res, no layers, yes effects)
- Phixr - online at http://www.phixr.com/ - FREE to use - web based (html based, no size limit, 1440x1080 max res, no layers, yes effects)
- Photoshop.com - online at https://www.photoshop.com/ - FREE trial of creative cloud products - web based (flash based, 10mb size limit, 6000x6000 max res, no layers, yes effects)
- OpenOffice - download at http://www.openoffice.org/ - FREE - open source office software for Mac or PC. Will save to its own file format OR can be set to save to standard office file format of .doc, .xls, etc. Includes document editor similar to Word, a spreadsheet similar to Excel, a presentation software similar to Powerpoint, etc.
Web Browser Recommendations
We frequently find cases of our clients being frustrated in their use of Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser. Not only is it slow, but it doesn't allow you to use the back button in many situations where other browsers do, among other frustrations.
We recommend that you download one of the below browsers to use instead:
- Chrome (mac and pc) - http://www.google.com/chrome - FREE
- Safari (mac) - http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ - FREE
- Firefox (mac and pc) (Mozilla) - http://www.firefox.com - FREE
Please read our document on browsers supported by the the system.
Online File Converter
- http://www.online-convert.com/ - A very handy free online service that will allow you to convert all sorts of files from audio, video, image, document and more! - FREE
Media Player / Viewer
- VLC - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ - FREE - plays virtually every format of video, audio, etc - mac, pc, linux and other versions available
Screen capture video
- Screencast - http://www.screencast.com - FREE - capture video of your screen activity. Very handy for demonstrations, or even to submit specific examples of behavior you have questions about to your CS rep!
Online meeting / screen sharing
- Zoom - http://www.zoom.us - FREE up to 40 minute meetings (used by Arts People for our remote meetings) - can hold meetings with two or more individuals with voice and video, screen share, etc.
- JoinMe - http://www.join.me - FREE TRIAL - small client to download wherein you can share your screen with others, or have them share your screen with you, live.