This article reviews how to purchase and use a Saveo Pocket Scan barcode scanner.
Before purchasing read through this article to get a feel for how the scanner works and whether it will work well with your entry process at the door.
Saveo Pocket Scan details
- Pairs via Bluetooth with iOS/Apple as well as Android mobile devices.
- Pairs via Bluetooth with PC laptops using Windows 8 or higher, or with MAC laptops.
- Scans barcodes presented on a mobile device as well as barcodes on paper tickets.
- To scan tickets user logs into Arts People via their mobile device/laptop and navigates to the Box Office>Scan Tickets page. Valid/Invalid notifications display on the Scan Tickets page for each barcode scanned with the Saveo Pocket Scan.
- Read more about the scanner's specifications on the Stimare site: SAVEO-SCAN-PKT-RCCD-BT
- This scanner is an option for those who already have smart phones/devices/laptops. This isn't a recommendation to buy smart phones/laptops for the purpose of scanning.
- Arts People support is monitoring the use of these scanners closely, so please reach out by submitting a request with Saveo Pocket Scan as the subject if you buy this scanner or have any questions before you buy. If you submit a request we can provide support and track your experience using it.
- Note about iOS mobile devices: When scanning the barcode entry field on the Scan Tickets page needs to be tapped between each barcode scanned (more information on this below in the Scanning instructions section). Android devices don't require the barcode entry field to be tapped. (Barcode entry field stays active between scans.)
Sales Executive, Stimare US
Technical support, Stimare US
Saveo Pocket Scan Pricing offered by Stimare
Arts People discount pricing: $130 USD + $15 shipping = $145 USD
(Regular price: $159 + shipping.)
Stimare refund policy for the Saveo Pocket Scan
Stimare is happy to extend a 30 day return policy for Arts People clients, they ask that you keep packaging and all original equipment for full refund.
Before you scan - read this! :)
1. Let your support person know!
If you buy a Saveo Pocket Scan let your support person know by submitting a request so they can help make sure you are ready for the new scanner by getting your tickets ready with the right size barcodes and getting a test show in place in your account so you can test scanning.
2. Test scanning - Test show
Get a test show setup in your account with free tickets so you can test your scanner without pressure. Ask your support person for help with this step. To do scanning testing buy tickets to the test show for the same day you will be doing your scanning test. The reason for this is the Scan Tickets page in Arts People only displays performances that are on the current day.
3. Test scan - Phone and paper
- You'll test scan tickets that are displayed on a phone by opening the email confirmation on a mobile device, opening the PDF of the tickets and scanning the barcode that displays.
- You'll print out some paper tickets and test scan those as well.
4. Setup>Administrators - Small scan page
For each person who will be scanning make sure their user profile via Setup>Administrators has the setting "Small scan page" turned ON. Click edit for each user to turn this setting on and save the update.
5. Global Settings - Count door tickets as scanned
Having this setting turned on is helpful if you don't want to have to scan in tickets for patrons who purchase tickets from a box officer using the Box Office>Door Sales page. This setting is on by default in your account unless you previously turned it off.
If you don't think you want to have Door Sales tickets pre-scanned you can turn off this setting via Setup>Global settings: it's towards the bottom of the page, it's called "Count door tickets as scanned" UNcheck this setting and Save that update.
6. Printable Designs - Barcode size
Print at home tickets
- Make sure the barcodes on your tickets are big enough to easily scan. For Print at Home tickets the best size is 50px. You can make adjustments yourself to your Print at Home design and barcode size, or ask for help from your support person. If asking for help let your support person know that you'd like your Print at Home ticket to use the Saveo Pocket Scan design (this design uses a large barcode at the top of the ticket).
- If instead of using this pre-configured design you want to retain the custom design you've already built into your account and you want to work the bigger sized barcode into the custom design, let your support person know and they'll help with this.
- If you made an adjustment or your support person made an adjustment to your Print at Home ticket design print a ticket out and to be sure it looks the way you want it to.
7. Printable Designs - Box office size tickets
- Do you also print box office size tickets and will scan those? Be sure the barcode is at least 20 px in size on the Box Office size ticket and that it's fully displaying (not running off the ticket). Check this via Setup>Printable Designs>Box Office Ticket. Look for the Barcode setting on the page and check that its size is at 20px or more.
- Print a Box Office Ticket to be sure the barcode displays fully without running off the page. Adjust as needed so the barcode is displayed fully.
8. Accessing the Scan Tickets page - Auto Lock setting on your device
You may want to make your device not go to lock screen mode automatically at least while you are scanning. For iPhone, to change this setting go to Settings>Display>Auto-Lock>Never or 30 minutes. For Android: Settings>Display>Sleep>30 minutes of inactivity.
Saveo Pocket Scan - Setup main points
- After you get the Pocket Scan out of the box open the instructions and read over both page 1 and 2.
- Important: Keep the box and all pages of the instructions handy since the instructions will need to be referenced over and over again as you use this scanner. (There are barcodes on the instructions that will need to be scanned on each device the scanner pairs with.)
- Charge the scanner for 3-4 hours using the USB cable provided with the scanner. After you've charged it press the orange button for 8 seconds to turn it on.
- On page 1 of the instructions scan the HID profile barcodes under the heading "How to connect to Smartphone or Tablet"
Saveo Pocket Scan - Scanning and pairing instructions
When you're ready to test scanning or scan barcodes the day of the performance do the following steps in order (the reason you will navigate to the Scan Tickets page in Arts People before you pair the scanner is the scanner takes over the keyboard of your device - once it does this you won't be able to type in your login information to Arts People, so login first and then pair the device with the scanner.
For pairing the Pocket Scan with your laptop follow the instructions below but in the section where it describes pairing in the Bluetooth settings of your mobile device you'll pair via the Bluetooth settings on your laptop.
- Before pairing the scanner to your device use the browser on your phone to login to Arts People. Login using your Organization code, Username and Password. In the upper left select Box Office>Scan Tickets.
- Select your performance and click Go. If you are on an Apple device tap your finger into the Barcode field to get the cursor into the field. You will need to do this between each scan. For Android devices you won't need to do this.
- You're ready to pair the scanner!
- Go to page 4 of the instructions and under the heading "Barcode Configuration method" scan the Start Configuration barcode.
- Go to Settings>Bluetooth on your device. Look for the device there appearing as a new device to pair with (it will be called a name starting with R-), select that device and wait for it to connect.
- On your phone click to go to the Home menu and then go back to your browser where you are logged in to Arts People and are on the Scan Tickets page. If on an Apple device tap your finger into the Barcode field, this isn't needed if you're using an Android. The cursor should be blinking and active displaying in the Barcode field. You are ready to scan barcodes on paper tickets and on mobile devices!
- Click and hold the orange button on the scanner to scan a barcode, watch your device on the Scan Tickets page to see if the scan was valid or not. The Valid/Invalid message will display on the Scan Tickets page. Point the scanner vertically, straight up and down, don't point it an angle.
- If you're using an Apple device tap your finger into the Barcode field between each scan so that the cursor is active and in the Barcode field on the Scan Tickets page.
- If you are using an Android you won't need to do this step, the cursor will stay in the Barcode field on its own between scans.
- Notice that unless you're constantly scanning the scanner will go to sleep - click and hold the orange button to wake it back up.
When you're finished scanning
- To use your device normally and use its keyboard after you're done scanning unpair the device with the scanner. On the phone go to Settings>Bluetooth, select the device and click to Forget the device.
- Hold the left gray button down on the scanner for 3-4 seconds - a series of beeps will sound indicating the device and scanner are unpaired. If you re-pair this device with the scanner you may need to start the pairing by scanning the Start Configuration barcode on page 4 of the instructions if you find the device has trouble finding the scanner to pair with it.
- To put the scanner in deep sleep mode press both gray buttons for 3-4 seconds.
- Make any other adjustments needed to return your device to its normal settings (revert the change you made to the Auto Lock setting if you made that change for scanning).
Remove the current pairing: The issue presents as the scanner won't pair with your device
1. Press the gray button on the left of the scanner for 5 seconds until a series of beeps to reset pairing.
2. Pair again via Settings>Bluetooth on your device. If your device doesn't find the scanner and present it as an option to pair with scan the Start Configuration barcode on page 4 of the instructions. Your device should display the scanner as an option to pair with. Select the option. Once paired go back to the Scan Tickets page in your browser and scan tickets to test.
Scanner stops scanning while scanning tickets
While scanning tickets the scanner may stop scanning - release the Orange button, change the distance from the scanner to the ticket. About 8 inches from the barcode is a good distance for Print At Home tickets printed on paper with the large barcode on them, click the Orange button again. About 6-8 inches is a good distance for barcodes on mobile devices or on box office size tickets. Change the distance from the scanner to the ticket is the main tip here, usually moving further away from the ticket than you were previously works until you find you're able to scan again.
If the scanner stops scanning tickets at all or does so incorrectly go to page 2 of the instructions to the section titled "Reset configuration to defaults" and scan each barcode under the HID Profile section.
Prep for scanning before re-pairing
Before re-pairing with the scanner open your browser (Safari or Chrome) on your device and login to Arts People and go to the Box Office Scan tickets page and be ready to scan tickets.
This scanner doesn't work for us
Arts People doesn't take responsibility for this scanner and if it will work with your particular device(s). Keep your device and all items sent with it for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
Non-barcode methods for checking-in patrons
An alternate way to check-in patrons without using barcode scanning but with the convenience of using just a mobile device is using the Arts People Box Office>Patron Check-In page and checking in patrons by name.