The right side of the Lists and Mailings marketing screen is used to generate Output from your database and lists for purposes of mailing, emailing, contacting via phone, etc.
Everyone or list members only? -
This selection gives you the option of choosing Everyone in your database, or to work with combinations of various lists that appear on the left side of the screen.
- Everyone - choosing this option will automatically pull every patron and organization in your database, unless you mark specific lists for Exclude on on the left side of the screen by checking the box in the Exclude column
- Lists - choosing this option assumes that you will mark one or more lists in the Include column on the left side of the screen. You also can mark one or more lists on the left in the exclude column. So you might include two lists and exclude a third. You need not mark all the lists, only the ones you are using. The system will automatically combine these together and eliminate duplication.
- Include / Exclude All Household Members - This feature enables you to specifically include all household members, or specifically exclude all household members. So if you are producing Labels or Mail Merge output, then even if only one household members is on the list, the label will be addressed to all, instead of just the one person. If you are sending an Email, then all related household members of that list will receive it also. On the other hand, if you mark this option and then Exclude the list, the persons on that list AND all related household members will be excluded as well.
Include Persons or Organizations -This selector allows you to choose if you wish your output to include All, or Persons only, or Organizations only.
This selection specifies what output you wish to generate from your selection above.
- Export Mail Merge File - This option is intended for mailing purposes, and produces a Mail Merge file in csv (comma separated value) that will download to your computer. This file includes postal mailing information that you can then merge into a letter or other mailing piece. This option automatically suppresses all patrons in the output set that have no postal address, or are marked for no-mail. It also automatically combines linked household members into a single record for mailing.
- Email Patrons - This option uses the fields below to send emails to the patron set. Note that the checkbox of "Yes I'm ready to send email" must be checked for this output to work. This option automatically suppresses all patrons in the output set that have no email or are marked no-email. It can take an hour, or even up to several hours for emails to be delivered to patrons. The marketing emails send in batches that are queued and if it's a busy time, delivery times are longer.
- Email Test - This option uses the fields below to send an email only to the user who generates the output. The recipient email comes from your administrator acct in the system. This is used to send a test email so you can review it. Test emails go through the same queueing process as real emails, so it may be some minutes, or up to an hour before you receive your test email. If you leave the screen in place after sending the test email and return after proofing the email before your login times out, you can then just change the output to Emails and send again to the desired output set. (Note that there will be a placeholder showing you where the opt out information will appear in a real email send.)
- Labels: Avery 5160 - This option is intended for postal mailing and will produce standard mailing label output (fits Avery 5160 style labels) in pdf file format for you to print. This option automatically suppresses all patrons in the output set that have no postal address or are marked for no-mail. It also automatically combines linked household members into a single record for mailing. This will automatically format up to 5 lines in the address - name, addr1, addr2, city/state/zip, country. If the patron name is long, it will attempt to wrap it to a 2nd line, unless all 5 lines are needed, in which case it will truncate the patron name to the first line. NOTE: If you have issues of the printout fitting on your labels, check your pdf print settings to make sure the printout is not being scaled or resized in any way.
- Print Label Listing - This option will produce a list of patron records that includes data similar to what will appear on labels in an HTML output that you can send to print. This output is valuable for previewing a mailing list. This option automatically suppresses all patrons in the output set that have no postal address, or are marked for no-mail.
- Export Raw Data - This option will produce a data file of the output set of patrons that includes contact information, coding for no calls, no-email and no-mail opt-outs (a 1 in this field indicates they have opted out), and other details. This output is NOT intended for mailing purposes as it does not automatically suppress opt-outs and it will include multiple records for relationships between persons and organizations. It is intended for external data manipulation using a database software tool.
- Combine Lists - This option will use selections of include and exclude you have made on the left side of the screen to produce a new list of combined patrons that you can then edit and rename as you choose. A good example would be a case where you have a specific list for ticket buyers of each show of your season, and then want to make one combined list of all buyers to that season. You can then include all those individual show lists, and perhaps exclude a list of your board of directors, and then make a combined list of all ticket buyers for a season.
Other Output Control Options -
Use informal household name in label output? -
This option will use informal versions of household names in label and mail merge output. Unchecking will alternatively use formal versions instead. (note that mail merge output will include columns with both formal and informal names, but this option controls which appears in the "LINE1" addressee field.)
Use informal individual name in label output? -
This option will use informal version of individual person name in label and mail merge output. Unchecking will alternatively use formal versions instead. (note that mail merge output will include columns with both formal and informal names, but this option controls which appears in the "LINE1" addressee field.)
Logic used for household name in mail merge and raw data export:
Formal household name:
1) use the formal household name on the household if one is present
2) if the above is not present then concatenate the various household members names in this way:
Prefix First Middle Last Suffix & Prefix, First, Middle Last Suffix (& additional in the same way)
Informal household name:
1) Use the informal household name on the patron record if one is present.
2) If the above is not present then concatenate the various household members names in this way:
If shared last name: Nickname (or first if nickname is not present) & Nickname (or first if nickname not present) Last (& additional in the same way)
If not shared last name: Nickname (or first if nickname not present) Last & Nickname (or first if nickname not present) Last (& additional in same way)
If 3 or more household members with mixed last name: Nickname (or first if nickname not present) & Nickname (or first if nickname not present) Last & Nickname (or first if nickname not present) Last (& additional)
If you want to include a Pass in a postal mailing, select it here -
This tool is used for generating a promotional pass code for each recipient to Mail Merge output. By selecting the promo pass that has already been built into your pricing, the Mail Merge download file will then include a unique pass code for each person in a separate column.
- NOTE: when generating pass codes this way, there is no record on the patron's database screen of the pass to reference later, so you may wish to store this file for future reference.
- NOTE: To auto-generate a promo pass code in an email blast, you input the following code string in the email where you want the unique code to appear. You will find the code # in the price term setup. [*promo_pass/1764*] (whereas 1764 will be replaced with the number of YOUR promotional pass from the bottom of the price term screen).
- For additional instructions regarding Passes, see Passes Types and Instructions & Pass Transactions.
Exclude people receiving emails -
This option is used to help you save money on postage and printing. You would first make your output set selections, then send an email to that selection. Then you would mark this checkbox to exclude the email recipients, and then produce labels to send a mailing to all patrons who did not receive the email. (Note, if a patron HAS one or more emails on their database record, and if all these emails are marked "no email", then this exclude option does not apply to them, since they will not have received any marketing email.)
Override Postal Opt-Out -
USE THIS OPTION WITH CARE. If you wish to send a mailing using label or merge output that does NOT exclude those patrons marked for no-mail, you would first click this link to override, indicate your approval, then back on the Lists screen check the box to override. Then your output will not suppress those patrons marked no-mail. (NOTE: This option only appears for Primary user type administrators)
Override Email Opt-Out -
USE THIS OPTION WITH CARE. ANTI-SPAM LAWS AND YOUR CLIENT AGREEMENT PREVENT YOU FROM SENDING MARKETING EMAILS TO ANY PATRON WHO HAS INDICATED THEY DO NOT WISH TO RECEIVE IT. If you wish to send an email that does NOT exclude those patrons marked for no-email, you would first click this link to override, indicate your approval, then back on the Lists screen check the box to override. A valid example would be in the case of a canceled performance and you need to notify patrons of the cancelation.
Email Fields -
Email Subject -
This field works just like the subject line in your own email. This will be the subject line of the email you send.
This field is the address that will appear in the From field in your patron's email. The field is automatically populated with the email listed as your Box Office Email on the Client Information screen but can be changed manually if you wish.
HTML Email -
Use this field to compose your email message. The system will automatically convert your HTML version to a text-only version to display only in the event the recipient is unable to view HTML format (very rare).
You can use the visual editor to create your email or add specific HTML code that you've designed for your email.
See also our email marketing integration options.