To accept a donation in your office:
- Look up the patron via the People or Organizations database screen, then click on the Donations option on the sub menu above.
- Then you will choose the fund, select an appeal related to that fund by clicking "get appeals" then selecting from the drop down.
- Input the amount of the donation in "donate now" for a one-time donation, or in the "Recurring" field (monthly, quarterly or yearly) for an automated, recurring donation. Be sure to check the radio button as to your selection. Note: Automated donations will be charged in the amount specified immediately and then will be set to recur. NOTE: Recurring donations are run automatically each month/quarter/year based on the date of the original donation. Also note that if the original date was the 29th, 30th or 31st of the month, these will recur on the 25th of each subsequent period since some months do not include these dates.
- You can specify an alternative expiration date of their membership, or leave blank for default expiration date for the membership type (usually preferred).
- Select a donation type, if you wish.
- Input or update name for publication, if the patron has a preference other than first and last name for how they will be recognized in print. Note that this field is not intended for mailing purposes.
- Check the anonymous box if the patron wishes to be acknowledged anonymously for this gift
- Input the fair market value of any benefits they will receive from this donation (the non-tax deductible portion) - (If this field doesn't appear, it may need to be activated by inputting a value in the system message for this field under Setup > System messages > donation related > "Fair_Market_value")
- Input a date of the donation, if different than today's date (such as a past date when payment arrived - do not use a future date).
- Input any notes related to the donation.
- Choose the payment method. Input the credit card number and expiration date and cvv card code, if paying via CC.
- You can select to not generate a membership, if the patron wishes to refuse any benefits, etc.
- Click Donate button to complete the donation.
- If needed, you can input a refund to a donation to adjust the donation amount originally entered as well. Input the refund amount, choose payment method and save. This will adjust the original donation amount. It will not adjust membership that may have been generated on the donation. That would be manually adjusted via the Donation History screen. For additional details on refunding to a credit card, see Refund to Credit Card.
- Memberships apply automatically when you complete a donation, as above, based on the rules you've configured in the Donation and Membership setup. Membership type is linked to Fund, so a donation to a fund that triggers a membership will automatically create or update their membership.
- For full details on Recurring Donations, see About > Recurring Donations - inputting, editing, viewing, reporting.